Friday, May 26, 2006

On May 15th, David Sharp died on the side of Mount Everest from oxygen deprivation. According to one report, more than 40 people saw him as he was dying and continued on their way to the top of the mountain. Sir Edmund Hillary, one of the first men to reach the top of Mt. Everest is quoted as saying, “It was wrong if there was a man suffering altitude problems and was huddled under a rock, just to lift your hat, say 'good morning' and pass on by... I think the whole attitude toward climbing Mount Everest has become rather horrifying. The people just want to get to the top.”

And I have to ask myself what about my attitude? Who do I walk right past in my quest to reach the top, carelessly leaving them to die?

“This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.” 1 John 3:16-18

http://kairos.la/blogs/

No comments: